In light of the cell phone policy made by Chancellor Carmen Farina and Mayor Bill De Blasio, the school leadership team has worked to create a new policy. The school respects the Chancellor and Mayor's regard for a parent's ability to communicate with their child while they are traveling to and from school. Effective as of November 2, 2015 the following policy is in place.
Cell Phones are the only electronic devices our students are permitted to bring to school.
Cell phones must remain turned off and stored in backpacks while on school property
1. Cell phones may not be turned on or used during the school day or in after-school programs. This includes the use of cell phones for photography or recording purposes.
2. Cell phones may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination.
3. Cell phones may not be turned on or used during school fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises.
4. Cell phones may not be turned on or used in bathrooms.
5. Students may not use their cell phones during the school day or in after-school programs while waiting for the bus or a parent/guardian while inside the school building. Students who wish to call their parent, must ask for assistance from their teacher or other school personal.
6. Students who use cell phones in violation of school policy, Chancellor’s Regulation A-413, and/or DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (IAUSP) will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the DOE’s Discipline Code.
PLEASE NOTE: PS 20 and school personnel are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged phones. Students who bring cell phones to school assume all risks.